broody or not broody

Gen51

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2016
There was a roost inside my coop which is very small. The hens usually only go inside to lay. They have a covered run that they stay in. They have been there for a little over a year and have never noticed the roost inside the coop until recently. All of a sudden it was like a child with a new toy. In the middle of the day they would all go inside to get on the roost. I removed it because they were making a mess of the inside of the coop. But they are still hanging out inside the coop for long periods when they used to always be in the run unless they were laying. What does this mean? Do I need to take action of any kind?

You should probably put the roost back or get another roost that is bigger. They might be bored though, so maybe you should put something in the run for them. I have a couple of cinder blocks in my run and they love to stand on them.

Did they roost on something in the run before they discovered the roost in the hen house or have they been spending the night on the ground until now?

Their sudden interest in the roost may be down to the fact that they have literally just discovered it. My girls do like to have a mid morning roost after they have filled their crop, or it may be due to climatic conditions... either too hot or too cold or windy for them in the run and they are seeking warmth or shade in the coop. If they don't have a roost in the run, then make them one, if it's something like shade or shelter, then look to rectify that. My neighbour planted a buddlia schrub in his run to create shade.... they are really hardy vigorous plants and are good for insects, particularly butterflies as well as being very pretty.

Anyway, those are just a few reasons off the top of my head, why this may be happening.

Good luck figuring it out

Barbara

They have a good sized covered run with a roost that they have always got on and it goes all the across one end of the run. When I first got the girls I would not let them
Out of the pen because we have loose dogs and I didn't know how they would react and another reason the few times I had let them out I couldn't get them back in so for awhile they didn't get out but I learned if I do it when I get home from work and let them stay out all evening they will go right in. So I let them out everyday unless it is raining.

Back
Top Bottom