Broody or not Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantamFan4Life, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I have a blue silkie named Sweety and I'm confused on whether she is broody or not. In the morning and at night she's usually
    on my nest and when I come near her she lets out a loud screech. Most of the times she's on the nest but sometimes I'll look out side and she's not on the nest she keeps getting off the nest coming back on is she acting weird or developing broodiness?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hummm... If you can get her to let you approach while she is still sitting on the nest, put an egg in front of her (Within easy beak distance). If she rolls it under herself, she's going broody. If she ignores it, far less likely for her to be broody right now.

1 person likes this.
  3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    A broody hen won't stay on a nest all the time. They will get up and walk around, get some food and water and exercise a little. They are now thinking that a periodic cooling time once a day might benefit hatch rates, because it is what mama chickens do. But putting the egg near her is the best way to find out, if she doesn't freak out when you get near her. My broody hen is super flighty, so if I get near her she runs away and will abandon the nest. In spring she'll disappear for a few weeks and then come back with a brood so I'm not too worried about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    If it is a Silkey, it is likely broody. Thats what they do best. With 2 silkeys in my outfit, one or both are brody most of the time.

5. CoopVillano

CoopVillano Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2012
    Maple Plain Minnesota
    We have a 10 month old dark brahma who is very broody... she just started laying eggs in late November, and in the last couple of weeks has started typical brooding behavior. We do not have a rooster... so no fertilized eggs. My broody girl is really only leaving the nest box when I force her out. She has pulled out her belly feathers and lined the nest... she does allow the other hen (we only have two right now) to lay her egg, but then she kicks her out and settles in. I do collect the eggs every day, but she stays even when the nest is empty. Her body "flattens" out and she seems to be in a trance. I've been going out 4-5 times a day to evict her... just to make sure she eats and drinks. Of course, she goes right back in after a couple of minutes. And her belly and the eggs I take from under her are SO warm... I think she would be a very dedicated setter... so I'm looking into purchasing some hatching eggs for her to incubate. Anyone have a suggestion/experience to share? Advice is appreciated... Here is a photo of Miss Olive and Miss Sadie... yes, that's Miss-BroodyBrood in the foreground...
    [​IMG]

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    OMG that is a beautiful hen!!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My hallmark for declaring a hen broody is if she sleeps on the nest. If she sleeps there two nights in a row, I feel she's broody and will give her eggs to hatch. If she just likes to hang out on the nest during the day, she's not broody.

8. CoopVillano

CoopVillano Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2012
    Maple Plain Minnesota
    Glad you brought that up... As far as I can tell, this hen is also staying in the nest box all night.

9. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Mine is only staying on the nest for a couple hours a day but I put an egg in front of her and she did tuck it under. What do you recommend?

10. CoopVillano

CoopVillano Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2012
    Maple Plain Minnesota
    Hi Rachel... I'm glad you brought that up... as far as I can tell, this hen IS staying in the nest box all night. Here is a cell phone image... you can see her bristling her feathers a bit... and that was accompanied by a weird "growl" to warn me off. :) In your experience... if Olive is indeed broody, would you predict that this behavior will establish a cycle? or will she just stay in this mode until I, either give her eggs to hatch, or try to forcibly change the behavior? She started this somewhere around the 10th of January... and she stopped laying her own eggs about 20 days ago. I'd like to take this opportunity to expand our flock, as long as she is willing to set... but it is a typical Minnesota winter... maybe I should wait? Your opinions and suggestions are appreciated...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by