Broody or not

15WildTurkey

Songster
6 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Carmel Ny
Hi chicken peeps,
I have a question.
I have a current flock of 3 golden laced Wyandottes and one Rhode Island. We just got another round of chicks at Easter. 4 Barred rocks and 2 silkie bantams.
I have the new chickies in a brooder box in the living room. They are getting big as chickies are want to do.
So tonight I was out shuttingnin my big girls for the night. They are all just over a year old. One of the Wyandottes is sitting in the nest box and not wanting to let me take the eggs. Soooooo, when I got the babies the lady asked if I had any broodies and if I did to pop the babies under her. Is it too late? How long would I have to let her get broodier? Or are the chicks too big now? It's fine if I have to keep them indoors for another month or so but the lazy lady in me wants to give them to Shelly and let her take care of them.
Thanks for any input

Your chicks are too old so don't try to give them to your hen, she will probably attack them. You might have troubles mixing silkies with the other breeds as they often get bullied. Hopefully you have a big coop to cut down on aggression.

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. Their enclosure is about 1/4 acre so I think that should be ok space wise. I was thinking of creating a few good hiding areas for the littles.

Back
Top Bottom