Broody or not????

brijay2

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Waddell AZ
We purchased some fertile eggs and we were going to place them in an incubator. Then we noticed an add on craigslist that someone had two broody hens for sale. We purchased these two sisters and placed them in a coop by themselves with two nests and the eggs. At first they were both taking turns sitting on the eggs and now both appear to ignore them. It is day 7 and we decided to move them and the nest into the larger coop (better nesting areas) and they both seem to be ignoring the eggs. Should we give up or is this normal? Are they broody or not? Could these eggs still hatch? They have not laid any eggs in the last week (both @ 18mos.) .
sad.png

Put the eggs in the bator and hope they're not already ruined. They were probably broody when you got them, but moving them to a whole new environment will break the broodiness a lot of times.

Last edited:
I moved the eggs but by the time I returned from work there were only 3 left and two were cracked. They all showed veining and the non-cracked one had an embryo that was moving. The two hens are having a great time ruling the roost as they are slightly older than my other hens who are mostly bantams. At least they are happy
smile.png
Hopefully the one will hatch:p

Back
Top Bottom