1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody or Not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenace, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    I had chickens few years back and had several chickens that SHOULD have been broody. I also had a rooster, but the hens never sat on the eggs for longer than an hour (that I know of). How do I get them to hatch their own eggs? How do I get them to sit on their eggs? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    ~Jenace

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Broodiness is a hormone change in them, so basically, you don't. A lot of people get Silkies because they are supposed to be very broody. Certain breeds are more likely to go broody, though. Old English Games, Kraeinkoppes and Silkies are probably the most likely, of the more commonly seen breeds, along with Malays, Shamos, Asils, and Madagascar Games. Orps, Brahmas and Cochins are apparently a step down in broodiness.

I've had some of my EE;s and Black Australorps go broody. I had 3 Orps at one point but none went broody. And I had 3 Kraienkoppes, from a hatchery, who all went broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by