Broody or Older Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peggy-Sue, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I posted this as a reply in another post but it didn't get any attention so here it is again in its own post.

This might seem like a dumb question, but do broody hens have to sit on the nest/eggs to be broody? My welsummer doesn't stay in the coop were the nesting boxes are; however, when shes outside with our other hens it looks like she builds a "nest" and sits in the back corner fluffing her self up. She spends most of the day there in the same spot. When I have treats though she gets up and comes over to me. I don't know what with her like I said in another post she kind of does her own thing and avoids the other hens. We know shes already laying but we are not exactly sure how old. We've only had her for two weeks she we either have a broody hen or a older one.
    [​IMG]

Thats her and I have put her picture in other posts. But yeah thats were she still all day every day!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It doesn't sound as if she is broody. Does she go to sleep on the roosts at night?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Agree - what is her nighttime behavior? I think she's just trying to decide where to lay. Broodies don't lay eggs.

4. Peggy-Sue

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Well she goes into the coop but usually goes in 30 mins before everyone else.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Then she's not broody.

6. Peggy-Sue

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Well then shes either molting, or out of her prime laying days. I don't think she is molting because she hasn't lost a lot of feathers in the time we've had her.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It could well be that she is an older less active hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by