Broody or Sick Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chal23, Aug 31, 2016.

1. chal23

chal23 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Hi All,

I found my beloved 4-month old Bernita (Maran) sitting at the bottom of the coop tonight while her sisters had already made their way "upstairs." She was sitting "low" to the ground and approached me as I entered.

Usually she is my spunky, curious one who is always venturing around the yard but tonight, she approached me and let me hold her. I tried to give her a few meal worms - she didn't want it. As i didnt have any electrolyte solution, I gave her a dash of almond milk with water, which she drank readily.

Her eyes are not glazed and she seemed to feel solid, just unusually affectionate. Her color was good, too. Picture attached for reference.

She has not started laying yet so I did check to see if she was egg bound but couldnt feel or see anything around her vent. One of our New Hampshire Reds layed her first egg yesterday..

She, as all my girls, are on a good diet, with plenty of protein, range time and a few treats. They are very happy social girls.

Right now the girls are roosting up high and Bernita is sitting in the coop :(

All that said - is my girl sick or just broody? We're first time chicken owners and while we read, observed and have learned a lot from this forum, expert advice is welcome!

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would doubt that she is going broody, as she has not yet begun to lay (a broody hen will normally fluff up their feathers and growl at anyone that approaches them).

As for what could be the issue - I'll leave to the ER experts here.

CT

3. chal23

chal23 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Thanks, CT. It's been excessively hot here... and a couple of the recent treats included pasta (not bread). Her crop feels like a water balloon but its also near midnight here.

We moved her into the house and are giving her the option of of H20 with a bit of ACV. I've been reading about Sour Crop... just in case. I hope to have positive updates in the AM.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Most welcome. If you can open her beak and take a sniff of her breath, you should know if its sour crop, cos it will smell...err...sour [​IMG]

Hope all goes well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by