1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody or sick or am I paranoid?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stargazingmommy, Nov 26, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    My salmon faverolle has decided she wants to sit in her nest. all the time. She's not particularly cranky. When I push her out of the coop she runs to the food and water and practically gorges herself, and runs right back to her nest as soon as I turn my back.
    She's showing no signs of being sick, eyes bright and clear, feathers look good, no mites.
    Hubby thinks maybe she's just trying to stay warm, but I do think maybe she's broody, but this is our first time with chickens so I've never seen one broody.
    Her laying has slowed down, I blame the winter for that.
    The only change is the ducks have started sharing their coop at night, but her behaviour started before that.

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Sounds like she's broody for sure.

3. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Sounds like she's broody. When my polish Cochin went. Doody she would t leave the nest for anything, I placed feed and water close to her.

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    fortunately i can shoo her off the nest for awhile to eat and drink.

5. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Are there eggs in her nest? Do the other hens lay in that nest? It always seems they have a "favorite" nest and they will all try to lay in one when there are others... she may get "knocked off" the nest so that another hen can get in there and lay her egg each day.... several may do this. This is why I mark the eggs my broody hen has... I mark them, so that I know which ones she started with, which ones were there from day one or two. This way I can remove the eggs, collect the eggs laid by others after she got broody and started sitting. 21 Days from the day she stays on the eggs. She should stop laying while she is sitting, broody. Sometimes I put something around the broody hen to keep others off her and out of her nest -- but, have to remove it now and then for her to get up and out and poop and all. They will not poop in the nest if it can be helped, they can "hold it" for three days. This is why they often refuse food and water while on the nest as well... they don't want to poop on the nest.
    I hope she does o.k... I had two eggs get "broken" by other hens getting into the nest. And, you can't move her nest. You can do something to keep the others out of it.
    Good luck.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    She really sounds broody to me, wrong time of the year for it if ya ask me. LOL but 2 of my silkies have decided to go broody again they just got done not to long ago kicking their first chicks out of the nest??? I keep taking there eggs away and putting them off their nest but to little or no avail They do the same thing as your girl, the run out get a bite to eat and a drink and then we play block the nest thats where I stand in front of it and try not to let them back in. Unfortunately I'm old and fat not to mention slow, and they are fast and determined little ones! So I just Decided to give it up and let them sit on their butts cause Im not letting them keep the eggs, next spring is another subject though![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by