Broody or sick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrayAcres, Aug 4, 2010.

1. GrayAcres

GrayAcres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    We have 5 hens and a rooster. They are all almost 1 year old. We think one of the hens has gone broody. she sits on the nest ALL of the time unless we physically move her. We make her eat and then she goes right back to the nest. This is not really a problem to us because we make sure she eats and stays clean (plus we remove any eggs).
    However, she is no longer laying eggs. could she maybe be sick instead of broody? She feels warm. Also, when she gets off the nest one of the other hens chases her and attacks. She does not defend herself but instead makes her way back to the safety of the nest.
    There are no visible hurts. She does tend to really grab hold of us with her claws when we pick her up. Kind of curls them. And, weirdly she will wipe her beak after every bite. She is not agressive at all but squawks alot when bothered.
    We hope someone can help us make sure we don't have a sick bird. Thanks!!!!!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's broody. Broodies do not lay, they want to hatch chicks. Give her some fertile eggs or break her broodiness.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    My hen was broody for 3 wks. and during that time she quit laying. I just always made sure to take her out a few times a day to eat and drink. She's back to her old self now, and laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by