Broody or something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QuailCreekFarm, Oct 17, 2007.

1. QuailCreekFarm

QuailCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Gaston, OR
    Our 5 month old Buff Orpington hen has been somewhat listless and hanging around with her feathers kind of puffed out. She doesn't seem to eat much, and the other chickens aren't pecking at her. Any ideas? Thanks, K&K

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Is she staying in a nest box when she does these things?...Puffs up and growls at you?....has eggs under her?..That would be some signs of broodiness...if not maybe something else is going on....Has she laid an egg recently?, that could be a sign of something else going on like eggbound...just my thoughts...

3. QuailCreekFarm

QuailCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Gaston, OR
    She stayed near the next box a lot of today, and she does not growl when I pick her up. She actually hasn't laid an egg yet, so we were wondering if she is about to lay her first? Thanks for all your responses. K&K

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she hasn't laid an egg and does not puff and growl when you pick her up... not a good sign. Maybe she has a stuck egg. Broodies will sit on a nest and act angry if you approach. Not be listless.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would say that broodiness is out .....she is probably just feeling that first egg trying to come out...keep your eyes on her, it can be a stuck first egg.......it may take her sometime...someone else had a hen doing this but I don't remember who....

Keep checking back here and I hope someone else can help you more ......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by