Broody or something else?

BarnsB

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Warren, CT
I have a hen that has been sitting facing backwards in her nest for the last week or so & is all puffed up. I collect fresh eggs every day; but have left seed eggs in the nest (wooden eggs) to encourage laying. I have put her outdoors several times & she seems perky & hungry & forages around but is still holding her wings & feathers loosly. She goes back to the nest at night & I have to repete the eviction process again the next day. Still her feathers are puffed out & held loosely. Otherwise, she appears normal. She's eating & drinking when I put her on the ground. Is she broody or do I have something else going on? I'm taking the wooden eggs out today.

This is exactly my question. I also have two buff orps doing this exact thing except they are in the same nest box. they are all poofy and they return as soon as I take them out. I have resorted to locking all a hens out of the coop in the afternoon just to get them out in the yard. Not getting any eggs they are about 9 months old. they were laying now they aren't. What to do??

Back
Top Bottom