1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody or the lowest on the pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolynb, Nov 6, 2009.

1. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    We have a 6 month old cochin bantam that will not come out of the nesting box. It's been over a week and she's pretty small. We have been taking her out everyday, giving her food and placing her in the run with the others. She'll peck around for a very short period of time, get some water and go back in. She was definitely getting pecked on - some tail feathers are missing. Everytime we let her in the run...the others try to peck at her (we keep them away so she can get water). So...is she broody? Or, is she staying in the nesting box because she's the lowest on the pecking order?

Also, she is not pooping in the nesting box. We have noticed that when we take her out she'll sometimes have a pretty big poop. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Any ideas?

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Sounds like broody to me because of the BIG poop. Is a pretty big poop??? Thats how I always know when my girls go broody You have any eggs you can put under her?

4. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    It was BIG....like almost cat sized poop but not quite as big as that. Really big for a little chicken. I wish I could put eggs under her but I don't think my husband will go for that [​IMG] I would love some more silkies.....maybe I can convince him that it's for the good of the hen!!

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    It is actually good for her if she is broody to long she can get weak and sick If your not going to let her sit I would try and break her from being broody Size of cat poop is most defintaly a broody hen Good luck with her

6. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Thank you so much for the help, Cackling Hen!! I will research how to break her of the broodiness.

7. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    So we decided to let her sit on some eggs... now I need to find some fertilized bantam eggs. I posted on here in the wanted to by section...looked on here, eggbid and ebay and can't find anything cheap enough that can ship quickly. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by