Broody Orp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcdez, Mar 14, 2015.

1. mcdez

mcdez New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I have read the numerous posts on how to break a broody hen but my question is will she starve herself? I have been going out 3-4 times a day and removing her from the box and all eggs but she just goes right back up there. I have even blocked off the boxes at night because she isn't roosting but makes a bee line for them once they are free and clear in the morning. I don't have a wire cage but do have a plastic dog crate- will that suffice? We are going on about 3 days now- Just after the full moon [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    A plastic dog crate might be worth a try. Especially if it has a wire door on the top, or a ventilated top, in which case you can turn it upside down and raise it off the ground on blocks.
    There's no telling how long she'll sit on those nests with no babies hatching. It's not a healthy situation. If you do nothing else, at least make sure she's getting food and water, even if you have to park it front of her face.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    A dog crate may work, but don't put ANY type of bedding in it. Be sure to provide food and water. By depriving a hen of a place to nest, I'm usually able to break broodiness in 2 days/1 night or 3 days/2 nights. I've never tried this using a dark area like a dog crate. If there's a way to increase light in or near the crate during the day, that may help so she doesn't think she's found a new, dark place to nest.

Also, she will not starve herself. She'll probably start eating no later than the 2nd day of isolation. After all, she'll have nothing else to do!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    We had a rough week when one of our BR's went broody (it was the first time for us). I finally got a large mop bucket with cool water and gently held her in it for about 20-30 minutes. She was in there up to her belly only. That seemed to do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by