Broody Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dollychicks, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dollychicks

dollychicks New Egg

May 25, 2010
    I have 4 one year old Buff Orpington hens. Three of them have gone broody this summer, one after the other and though the babies have been fun (our hens readily adopted needy chicks from various sources, since we don't have a rooster), I'm getting a little tired of the whole thing.

I'm curious about the experiences of other BO owners. Is this level of broodiness usual for Buff Orpingtons? Should I expect them to get less broody as they get older? Do they ever stop sitting if the eggs don't hatch? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I don’t have any BO hens but from what I hear they do go broody a lot and no I don’t think a hen will stop if her eggs don’t hatch they just sit tight and wait it out and I heard that they go broody more as they get older but I'm not sure you could always try and break the broodies up.

3. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    We have a buff orpington hen. She is driving me crazy, in the last two months she has gone broody no less than 5 times. I keep breaking her but she just wants babies !!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by