Broody Ouestions!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKid11, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Ok today one of my hens was laying an egg so I thought it would be funny to put a golf ball in front of her. So I did that and she just looked at and then rolled it under her! So my questions are is she broody? Is she going to finish laying her egg? And what should I do???

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Hmm.. hard to say if she's really broody.
    Some hens think they're broody, then after a week or so they decide they have better things
    to do than set on a bunch of eggs. Give her another week, and if she's on the nest all day & doing
    the 'broody growl' and walking around like she's the boss, I'd say she's broody.

Good luck

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope, not broody. It's just the nesting instinct.

When she's broody, she'll puff up, screech, look like a pancake, possibly pluck the feathers from her chest, make clucking sounds and stay on the nest-even at night.

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I've been wondering, one of mine has been "broody" for over 2 wks now.
    She's all puffed up. When I shoo her off the nest and out of the coop she does a fast lap around the yard at a dead run returning to her food and water for a drink, then scratch the ground by the door to the pen, then back to the coop and her nest.
    She lays flat on her nest all puffed up, she hasn't plucked but has gathered stray feathers, she's always been a clucker, doesn't screech at all(shes a very quiet peaceful thing even on the nest), and shes quit laying. Is she broody or not?

5. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Ive watched my hens after they lay their eggs and they proudly stand and look at em, roll em around a bit then lay back down on the nest and egg unless I happen to grab it at that time. I think they want a while to bond with it [​IMG]
    But they get bored and depending on the weather outside will either get right off again or take a break and rest for a while before joining the flock. So I doubt she is broody. My broody girl.... (broody 4 times this year!!!!) turns into a BANCHY when broody.
    Try to pet ur hen and if she lets you then she is probably not broody just chillin for a while. If shes still there after 48 hours she may be broody and she may or may not stay the full time. chickens are chickens and so unpredictable most of the time and they do the quirkiest things [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I've been wondering, one of mine has been "broody" for over 2 wks now.
    She's all puffed up. When I shoo her off the nest and out of the coop she does a fast lap around the yard at a dead run returning to her food and water for a drink, then scratch the ground by the door to the pen, then back to the coop and her nest.
    She lays flat on her nest all puffed up, she hasn't plucked but has gathered stray feathers, she's always been a clucker, doesn't screech at all(shes a very quiet peaceful thing even on the nest), and shes quit laying. Is she broody or not?

Yup, you have a broody.

7. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I don't get this broody thing. Does it just happen if the eggs pile up? I have three pullets, no rooster, and I collect eggs every day. Am I going to encounter this problem?!

Ahh, so many things still to learn!

8. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:Mine did it with no eggs

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Eggs aren't necessary. There have been stories of chickens brooding a pecan nut or a rock. Once they go in the trance, it doesn't matter if there are eggs or not, they will still sit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by