Broody Ouestions!!!

ChickenKid11

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Ok today one of my hens was laying an egg so I thought it would be funny to put a golf ball in front of her. So I did that and she just looked at and then rolled it under her! So my questions are is she broody? Is she going to finish laying her egg? And what should I do???

Hmm.. hard to say if she's really broody.
Some hens think they're broody, then after a week or so they decide they have better things
to do than set on a bunch of eggs. Give her another week, and if she's on the nest all day & doing
the 'broody growl' and walking around like she's the boss, I'd say she's broody.

Good luck

Nope, not broody. It's just the nesting instinct.

When she's broody, she'll puff up, screech, look like a pancake, possibly pluck the feathers from her chest, make clucking sounds and stay on the nest-even at night.

Quote:
I've been wondering, one of mine has been "broody" for over 2 wks now.
She's all puffed up. When I shoo her off the nest and out of the coop she does a fast lap around the yard at a dead run returning to her food and water for a drink, then scratch the ground by the door to the pen, then back to the coop and her nest.
She lays flat on her nest all puffed up, she hasn't plucked but has gathered stray feathers, she's always been a clucker, doesn't screech at all(shes a very quiet peaceful thing even on the nest), and shes quit laying. Is she broody or not?

Ive watched my hens after they lay their eggs and they proudly stand and look at em, roll em around a bit then lay back down on the nest and egg unless I happen to grab it at that time. I think they want a while to bond with it
lau.gif

But they get bored and depending on the weather outside will either get right off again or take a break and rest for a while before joining the flock. So I doubt she is broody. My broody girl.... (broody 4 times this year!!!!) turns into a BANCHY when broody.
Try to pet ur hen and if she lets you then she is probably not broody just chillin for a while. If shes still there after 48 hours she may be broody and she may or may not stay the full time. chickens are chickens and so unpredictable most of the time and they do the quirkiest things
smile.png

Quote:
I've been wondering, one of mine has been "broody" for over 2 wks now.
She's all puffed up. When I shoo her off the nest and out of the coop she does a fast lap around the yard at a dead run returning to her food and water for a drink, then scratch the ground by the door to the pen, then back to the coop and her nest.
She lays flat on her nest all puffed up, she hasn't plucked but has gathered stray feathers, she's always been a clucker, doesn't screech at all(shes a very quiet peaceful thing even on the nest), and shes quit laying. Is she broody or not?

Yup, you have a broody.

Quote:
Eggs aren't necessary. There have been stories of chickens brooding a pecan nut or a rock. Once they go in the trance, it doesn't matter if there are eggs or not, they will still sit.

Back
Top Bottom