broody over golfballs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peartreehens, Oct 2, 2013.

1. peartreehens

peartreehens Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    So I had golfballs in each nest box, but a month after she started laying, my CM went broody and tried to hatch them. So I removed the golf balls, which seemed to slow down her broodiness and she finally gave up after about a week. Question is, if everyone is laying in the boxes, do I need to replace the golfballs? Or do they contribute to the broodiness idea?
    thanks!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahahha, that is soo cute, i wouldnt think u would need to replace the balls, she knows where to lay now i know some bantems will sit on rocks when they go broody. i keep taking their eggs but some times it just wont work. they will lay 1 egg and start sitting so i just let them.

3. peartreehens

May 10, 2013
    excellent. Thanks! I didn't want to buy more--when I removed the others, I just set them near the coop and the *#^$ squirrel stole them and hid them somewhere. They won't help him much this winter . . .

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what have your animals around there been smoking? mabey the golf balls had something in them besides rubberbands. lol

5. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    [​IMG]

6. peartreehens

May 10, 2013
    This squirrel is insane. He spent 4 days compulsively removing every pinecone from the tree over my girls' run and hucking them to the ground. Every time one would hit the roof of the coop or the mesh over the run, the girls would startle. For 4 solid days. Thousands of green, hard pinecones raining down.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My MIL keeps a decorated tree on her deck. Every year she chooses a color scheme, and decorates it lavishly. Then she puts bird seed and suet in it. About mid winter, the squirrels start to un-decorate it. She'll see them running across the yard with a ball or a string of garland! Her squirrels must have some very lavish dens!!!

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    think we should start a post? the funnyist acting chicken award goes to.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by