Broody peahens

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by barredmuscovy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. barredmuscovy

barredmuscovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    I have 2 peahens that are laying and are super broody. 1 hen has 12 under her and the other has 6. Thankfully they both laid their eggs in the new 8x8 chicken coop I built in wood shop this year. But it's still getting below zero at night and if they all hatch which they will cause I candled them that's a lot of peafowl should I take some eggs out from under them the first hen has 2 more weeks and the other has 1 week left what should I do cause I don't want many peachicks to raise.

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    If you let the peahens care for them they make great mothers and you don't have to worry about teaching them to eat and drink, etc. As long as you provide medicated chick starter for them and a small water dish that they won't drown in.

You might want to start marketing peachicks for sale now if you don't want so many birds, but if you take them after they have hatched and the peahen has bonded with them it can make the peahen cry, so I would leave maybe at least one chick per peahen just to keep them happy.

If you take a few of the eggs, are you going to finish off incubating them or?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    Well ya have hatched peas before but this is a lot for this early I' ll let them all hatch and take them a way and raise them myself they crossbred my buff peacock is the father and the hens are silver pied. And send more pics if you have some.

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't know if they will lay more eggs or not if they hatch out the chicks then you take the chicks but it is pretty amazing that yours already are nesting. Mine lay a few eggs randomly around the pen then eventually they make a real nest and sit on it. Normally I get my first eggs in April.

5. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    Ya I can't wait they are gonna be crossbred

6. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    They hatched finally my peachicks are here 18 of them YES i set and watched the whole thing and it's still chilly here in Nebraska. Yes can finally go to bed with the peacock JK I'm so happy I wasn't expecting them until a week and 2 weeks man was I wrong.

7. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Congrats on your hatches !! [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    We need pictures [​IMG]
    congratulations

1 person likes this.
  9. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

YES! Pictures!

10. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    Would but I can't close enough both moms want to scratch my eyes out so I will get them tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by