Broody pecking at hatching egg?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
This is my first time letting a broody hatch and earlier today was day 20/21. While trying to put a partition in the coop to separate the other chickens from the nest, I heard peeping from the nest box and took a peek. It was already getting dark but I lifted up side of mama and saw the peeping egg seemed crushed. The shell was completely gone from 1/2 of the side. The membrane was intact except for the pip. The membrane seemed very soft and pliable and chick was moving underneath. Mama pecked at it while I was looking. I then noticed a spot of blood on the membrane, but that could have already been there. I can't recall if the chick made a distressed noise or not, it caught me off guard.

I put her wing back down and closed the nest box as quickly as I could.

Is this normal? I am going to check tomorrow morning to make sure she isn't actually pecking the chicks... I am hoping she is trying to help or eat the shell and not the chick? I am going to have a restless night.

Last edited:

Good news! Little one is all fluffed out and second one is hatching out of intact shell. Proud chicken grandma here!

Back
Top Bottom