1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody pecking newly hatched chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kattington, Jun 6, 2016.

1. kattington

kattington Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Sorry, I posted this in the wrong section, so I'm going to post it again here.

I just went out to check on my broody who is on day 21. She had a newly hatched chick outside of the nest and was pecking it. I picked it up, and it was cold to the touch. I ran it inside and popped it in my incubator. One chick hatched under her earlier today, and now I'm not sure if I should pull that chick or just wait and see how she does. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Check on her and see how she's doing with the other hatched chick(s). If she's o.k. with them, return the chick you removed when she's sleeping, just slip it under her and keep an eye in the morning to see how they're doing. The chick's instinct will tell it to be with and listen to mom, so as long as she's accepting, they'll be o.k. Good luck!

3. kattington

kattington Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Thanks! That's exactly what I did. They are doing great this morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by