Broody Pen/Brooder Finished Today

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speckledhen, May 11, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just built a broody pen/brooder in the storage area of the Delaware coop, especially made for my banty Cochin, Shadow, who has just gone over the edge, LOL. This is about 38" long and 28" wide, inside measurements and 24" tall. There is hinged lid as well as a door on the end for ease of maintenance. Because it's hardware cloth all round, it can be used as a safe outdoor brooder. Tonight, we move Shadow on the five eggs we want her to hatch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fancie

Fancie Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I got to quit looking at all you guys's stuff it makes my jeoluse..... chicks, chickens, pens, dogs, horses....... nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good Job!!! [​IMG] I'll have to make my hubby build me one.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Looks great! I hope all five hatch [​IMG] and she can be a proud momma. [​IMG]

4. jhart101

jhart101 Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I'm with Fancie...I'm jeoluse! Looks great!

5. verlaj

verlaj Songster

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    How long will you leave the hen/chicks in there before giving them larger quarters? I ask because I have a hen on eggs for the first time, and need to know when to have a bigger, yet secure, pen for them.

Thanks.

6. speckledhen

Since Shadow is so small, I think there will be plenty of room for several weeks. It's only five eggs, but the chicks are large standard breeds, so the babies may be larger than mama by four or five weeks old, if she isn't already sick of them, LOL.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is fantastic! I bet Shadow is loving her new headquarters and the fact that she gets to sit on some eggs. [​IMG]

Great job Cyn! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Thanks, Stacey. I think it turned out well. Shadow is sitting tight so I have high hopes for her maternal abilities.

9. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Ok, dumb question, Cynthia. I am about to make a box for my broody, but she goes out once a day and dustbathes, and runs around in the grass.... how does she get out if there is a closed door?

Do you not want her out? Or, is it that you don't want others in?

By the way, nice job on the pen.

10. ducks4you

ducks4you Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    speckledhen, Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am so excited to see the thing I need to build. You see, I posted about wanting to see brooders about a month ago---guess you missed it, or...you were building this, I guess. A N Y W A Y, I am tearing down and rebuilding an 8 x 7 building, apex 8 ft, roof sloping both sides. Plenty of room for the 8 birds that will move in late this summer. I have had my 2nd batch of chicks, and I have HAD IT with raising them inside the house!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I wanted a simple plan for a usable brooder where I can store extra grit, and baby chick feeders, etc., when not in use, and care for little fuzzybutts. The inside of this "playhouse", I think that was the original use, is open, so I can plan now how to use it. Could you send some specs? I would REALLY appreciate it. This is EXACTLY what I want to build! [​IMG]
    Check out my pics (The purple thing is gonna be my new coop, after it's deconstructed, and rebuilt. I REALLY like the windows, which are on 3 sides.)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=185353

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by