Broody Pens

MissChessy

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
Texas
What do you guys who have broody hens use for a broody pen? Where do you put your broody hens? New chicks after hatching?

well.. I'm just getting started so my opinions is likely useless... but I'm planning to do what everyone seems to recommend.

My broody hen will be seperated from the bunch (without moving her & her clutch) in her own 3X9' room with about the same size outdoor pen. they will hopefully stay there (within sight of the other chickens) until they can be culled or integrated. I intend to leave mom with her chicks.. if that can't happen.. back into the hen house she goes and the chicks can stay in the nursery with eachother.

havent been there yet but am sharing my schemes and dreams for future days.

i have been thinking about what i would do when my hens decide to brood. been watching my mom who has raised chickens all of my life and getting some great ideas from her experiences.
a local groc store gave me some of their cardboard produce boxes (like watermelons are displayed in) and i am going to either put a bucket attatched to a board (so it wont roll) in the box for the nest box or just line the box heavy with straw (no bucket) and when the hen lays the eggs and i notice she is setting on them in the coop then i will put her in the box and let her hatch the babies (prob put it in my garage) that way can keep an eye on her food and water and she wont be bothered by the others. then when the chicks are big enough i am going to move everyone back to the coop... like i say i havent tried this myself yet so its only a plan in my small mind.
hope you get lots of responses to help as i am interested in this topic as well.

Quote:
Wow! I never would have thought of using one of those big produce boxes. I guess I can go by and ask our local grocery store for a box or even one of those stove or washer and dryer boxes. Nice ideas there. My husband has a shop, but I'm hesitant in using it as I don't want the broody hen to poop in his shop. That's my main concern. We are in the process of re-designing our hen house and run and making a broody and nursery area. Just haven't had the chance to do it just now. Been too many things going on and dh coming home late from work etc......I'll see if I can find one of those boxes and see if dh will let me move the broody hen. Thanks for sharing your ideas and wisdom.

I used a towel box
smile.png

100_0002.jpg

It worked perfect for her. She is currently using it now and is due this week!
big_smile.png

Here is a close-up pic to show you how much room she has.

100_0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom