Broody Polish?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QualityPolish, Mar 18, 2012.

1. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well I've had Polish for a few years now not once have I had a broody normally I end up passing down the eggs to our silkies. Although I've heard of a few of you out there lucky enough to get a broody Polish. I've never attempted this before but I've read it on multiple sites that you just let them get a huge clutch of eggs and in a matter of time it's just instinct to sit on them??? Is this true? I usually gather eggs daily to pass them to our silkies or for eating but have any of you ever done this? Has it worked?

Thanks in advance, QP.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've had a polish mixed with a SS hamburg go broody (Both are rare broody breeds) I think it just depends on the chicken. If your hens have yet to go broody, I doubt they will. Although, if it was raised by a silkie, it may have a tenancy to go broody. :/

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Going broody is a learned behavior?? I thought it was in the genes or combination of genes. I personally never seen a hen go broody on a clutch of eggs because they were there.

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    I have no idea if going broody is a learned behavior. Personally I think it would be an instinct :/ Although I do think it is a gene I think I still may try the confined treatment :p Because I have read some posts that swear by it. Who knows, I'll probably try it tomorrow .and give you guys my feedback ;)

5. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    As far as I know, broodiness is a natural instinct that some hens seem more inclined towards than others. I have one RIR who seems to think it's her lot in life to set on a clutch of eggs. She waits for the others to finish laying and then, adding her own to the batch, gets comfy on the lot. However, if I remove her and the eggs, she seems not to mind and goes about her day scratching with the others. I feel sorry for her, she really would probably make a good mother. But, that would mean having to borrow a rooster for a bit. We aren't allowed roosters in town so I guess I would have to smuggle one in and out before any one ratted on me. Any one else with some experience in borrowing a rooster for quick servicing?
    [​IMG]

6. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    This is kind of an old thread, but did your Polish hatch any eggs? I just had one go broody. I have Polish eggs in the bator, set to hatch in a couple of days. I'm not sure she would accept them. The whole broody thing is new to me.

7. SunsetFarms

SunsetFarms New Egg

May 22, 2011
    My Blue Polish hen is broody and has hached 2 chicks so far today.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  8. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I have 4 Polish for 4 years, and a couple 'mixed 1/2 polish muts'. The full Polish have never gone broody, but there 1/2 polish 1/2 buffy offspring have.

9. sjshaw1980

sjshaw1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a GL polish hen I recently brought home from the 4-H fair. She spends most of her day around the hen house (either in it or scratching nearby), she has not laid one egg yet, she's not molting, and every time my other girls lay in the nest boxes, I find her sitting on the eggs. So I'm not sure if she's confused, broody or what. Any thoughts?

10. Poland

Poland New Egg

May 10, 2013
    The word you are looking for is not lucky it is annoying. four this year have tried to clock, luckily they are so stupid i picked up the entire nest with them in it and put it in a cage so they dont mess up the eggs. lol but they even clock on duck eggs or pebbles, anything white.two were also locked of the nest.but they really really like clocking.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by