Broody pooped on hatching chick plus chick in the nest need advice

Bellasmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
She's never done this before but pooped right on the last egg needing to hatch and on one of the chicks. When I moved the egg she went ballistic which is her right as a mama hen. Should I just let it be? I have had 2 hatch today, one has pecked his hole and one that's pooped on is moving towards hatching.

Thanks!

Oorg, that's unfortunate. If an egg is very close to hatch, washing it is risky--too much stress and disorientation for the chick. I'd recommend removing what poo you can from the nest, and you could wipe the soiled eggs with a dry paper towel. I would try to keep handling of the eggs to a minimum. Hopefully the chicks will hatch before the contamination on the eggs becomes a problem!
fl.gif

They are all hatched out now and seem to be doing well! Thanks! I ended up putting clean shavings up behind her and she cleaned everything up. Rolled the 2 eggs to the front of the nest and fixed herself over from the yucky stuff. As soon as things settle down I will clean the nest completely and put in new shavings.

Back
Top Bottom