'Broody' possibly plucking feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aart, Jan 30, 2014.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wondering if someone is thinking about going broody.

I have been finding small feathers, like what might be on the breast/belly, in the nest boxes.
    Maybe a dozen or so in a couple different boxes over the past few days.
    Haven't really checked the birds out themselves as I don't think it's enough feathers to see where they came from.
    Don't think it's molting because even during all the molting I've seen there were really none in the nests before.
    Noone is sitting all day in the nests....this I did have one young girl, cochin wyandotte mix, kind of yell at me when she was in there.

Have read that broodies might do this plucking thing, so was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

Yep, could be a broody hen. Ours do it when they are broody. Nothing to worry about unless you don't want them going broody.

HS Pye

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, broody hens (or those thinking about going broody) will pluck their belly feathers. They do this to have heat/humidity contact with the eggs. If you reach under them in the nest, you'll likely feel skin instead of feathers. I had one broody pluck from her crop, all the way down between her legs.

They are not committed to brooding until they are on the nest at night. I have mine sit at least 2 consecutive nights before giving them any eggs.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks, Will be interesting to see if/how this develops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by