Broody Problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joway, Jul 25, 2014.

1. joway

joway New Egg

Jan 6, 2012
    One of my ameraucana's began brooding about two weeks ago. In checking the eggs, (3 in total for that day) I dated them to ensure what was going on. The next morning, the three eggs were on the floor and broken but the hen was sitting. After removing the eggs she continued to sit. So I left her alone for two days and then re-checked. She had no eggs and none of the other hens had laid in the nesting box she was sitting on.

She sits in only one nesting box out of a dozen. And is definitely broody. Here's the strange part. We know all the hens and the color of their eggs. She is clearly laying eggs in a bale of wood chips daily along with the other hens and then gets up and goes back into an empty regular nesting box and broods. And oh yes, don't even think of putting your hand or face near her when she's on the box nest unless you want to get pecked and yelled at.

Not the same when she's on the wood-chip bale. She could care less and will softly talk back to me when she's there. She will not roost at night and even though I check her daily she has no eggs she is protecting!!?? I think it's time to break her of the broodiness as she appears to not be eating, dirt bathing, free ranging, to the point of not even taking mealy worms from me but she does come out into the penned area to drink water and then return to the box nest. And no, no pooh in the box nest or wood-chips bale.

From what I've read here @ BYC it sounds like the cage method to break her will work the best. Anyone have any other ideas? Ice sounds like a "tough-love" approach but would consider it as a back-up if the cage does not work.

Seems weird that she lays eggs in the bale of wood-chips and then returns to an empty box nest to brood. Thanks. joway.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]That's weird.....yes, I'd do the cage method not the ice. The ice is just mean (in my opinion).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. BlueJayFarm

BlueJayFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Boring, Oregon
    Hmm, how about just collect some of the eggs you want to hatch and put them under her? Two weeks (so far) is not too long to let her go another three, if she is really serious about it. It might be worth seeing if they end up on the floor again. Also you might want to move her to a broody area separate from the other boxes after she takes the eggs for a couple days.

4. BlueJayFarm

BlueJayFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Boring, Oregon
    Oh, and welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by