Broody ? Puffing feathers and bear chested..??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GinaSki, Aug 11, 2007.

1. GinaSki

GinaSki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    HELP !!
    I have one of 5 of my hens that is acting wierd.. usually a friendly bird, she has been sitting in the nest box for 2+ days... I take her out and she goes back in... I was checking her today and notices that her breast bone area is bear ... when she puts up her "tail" bald there too .no feathers.. BUT no sores either... these are my first chickens.. they are about 6 months old... WHAT's going on ???
    [​IMG]

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    My chicken hasnt gotten broody yet but maybe she is.
    Also maybe she over pruning herself or the other chickens are
    pecking her.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she keeps going back in chances are you've got a very young broody on your hands. If you take her out and she's really PO'd and turkey like, yeah, that calls for broody. It does seem a bit young though.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Broodies will pluck their own breast feathers so their moist skin is next to the eggs. Sounds broody to me. I have one SLW girl who has a semi-bare bottom, but she's beginning her molt.

5. GinaSki

GinaSki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    ok .. now..what ??
    Do I increase her protein ?
    Should I toss her out of the nesting box periodically ? I only have two nesting boxes and she is camped out in the one that 'everybody' prefers !!! She looks miserable ?? And I sad .. she and I usually get along great.. she runs to see me and squaks for her "chicken bowl' treats.... now she gets mad when I am get near-by...................... thanks for any info !!!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you don't want her broody, dump her out of that box and keep her from sitting down on a nest. If that doesn't work, you can always put her in a wire bottom cage and cool her bottom side down. It might take a few days... or you can just give in and get her some eggs to hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by