Broody Pullet and molting too

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mustangsaguaro, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have a pullet that for the last week I have tried to break of her broodiness and can't break her. On top of that I think she has also started molting too. Is this kind of late in the season to be molting? She is going on 8 months old. Almost her whole underside is bare. I hope I don't end up w/ a totally bare chicken. I am wondering if I can't break her of her broodiness If I should get some fertile eggs for her to sit on? I know my husband would kill me at this point and time if we got more chickens let alone babies. I am willing to do it if there is anyone out there that might want some chicks. I am located in California, so would rather not have to ship babies, but would be willing to do delivery or pick up if your in california and want to do this. Please let me know.

Thanks

2. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    The bare chest/tummy is all part of the broody-thing. They pluck their feathers out, it gives them better contact with the eggs, I think. Sounds like a good time to get a few of those Ameraucana eggs from Eggchel! It would only take a few eggs to make your broody a happy camper!

3. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I just have to convince my husband, he's the one that is saying no. If I could only find a few people here in the bay area that would want some then he might say yes to that as I could sell a couple and keep 2. I did contact Lisa Cree to find out if she will be at the Fresno show and if she has any birds for sale that she could bring to the show. So will see what happens there.

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    C'mon....it won't REALLY be that hard. If you can keep 2 you say....give her 4 eggs. My girl discarded 2 of 9 eggs, so maybe your girl will discard 1 of 4 and there ya go...keep 2 your self & find a home for 1 [​IMG]
    Kristi

5. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:I wish it was that easy w/ my husband but it's not. The only way I could probably pull this thing off is to say I didn't know she was sitting on any eggs she was hiding somewhere, and then 21 days later all of a sudden there are little chickies. I let my chickens free range. But this one pullet when she was laying she did go in her nest to lay. Knowing that it might not be that easy to pull off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by