Broody pullet, need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Alright our little white pullet was being broody, my son found 2 eggs under her today, 1 was her's and the other was Queeny's (our little black pullet). Actually there were 4 eggs, 2 are plastic. Should we remove those plastic eggs now??

1. She is NOW laying behind (or in front of I guess) the egg boxes. She is laying at the closed end of the boxes, so (see #2)

2. HOW is she getting the other chickens eggs out of the boxes??? Our boxes are made from rectangler buckets that set up on a pedestal. The OPEN ends are actually toward the egg door and the closed end is inside the coop.

3. HOW do we break her from being broody???? We don't want anymore chicks right now and when we do, I prefer to hatch them in the incubator.

4. If she has been sitting on these eggs since at least yesterday (hince we only got 1 egg yesterday), are they edible??? I candled them, and they do look (the yolk) different. There seems to ben an "eye" or maybe a bloodspot but not bloody or dark, on the yolk.

I don't want her sitting on any more eggs, but I don't have a coop that you can walk into. She was sitting on these right at the door that leads out to the run. My son had to move her, not with his hands though, but kinda prodding her with a stick (it's actually a toy field hockey thingy, has the net on one end) anyway that is what he got her up with.

Will she do this again and how often??

2. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    breaking a hen from being broody is VERY HARD if they have their mind made up to hatch eggs. I tried for three weeks to get my RIR to stop. finally I bought a doen eggs and let her hatch them. nine hatched. she is a very happy momma and its been great fun watching her raise them. You can always give the chicks away.

Good or bad egg ??? put it in water. if it sinks it is GOOD. if it floats that means it has gas in it. throw it out
    Good luck

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thanks RonB

Today she was sitting on the Plastic Eggs in the coop. I have blocked where she was laying at so that will at least force her (I hope) back into the nest boxes. I don't think it would be a good idea for her to hatch some chicks (not enough room) and I have had such a HARD time finding homes for all our roos, still need to get rid of the one we have. And with winter coming on, I am affraid they wouldn't make it. Do chickens usually hatch during the winter as well??

And what about a seperate place for her and them?? I don't have another coop or really another place to put her?? [​IMG]

As for the eggs that she already sat on, will they have anything in them??? That was what I was really wondering about. I mean is she old enough and the roo old enough to fertilize an egg???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by