Broody Pullet, setting eggs today!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KNAndrs, Oct 25, 2011.

1. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    So my little lady Reese's Peanut Butter Cup went broody. One of my friends sent me 6 fertilized eggs and I set 5 under her. Notice the difference, I accidentally dropped one in my nervous attempt to set them under her and get the 2 wooden eggs out. So I have now eaten a quick dinner... and am wondering if anyone is setting eggs today and if you would like to follow along. Here is a pick of the little Bantam Cochin that is doing all the hard work.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    KEN

2. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    No one is as excited as I am...

Looking forward to what will hatch!!!

A beautiful barnyard mix, 1 brown, 2 blue and 2 white eggs. I should take bets on what hatches and what they will look like. Very cool.

3. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I'm excited for you! I have 9 Silkie eggs on the way and 10 mallards in the bator. So I have the same excitement you do!

4. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    I would love to have some ducks running around the yard, but it is not really a great idea with all the predators trying to camp out in my coop.

Thanks for sharing the excitement!

KEN

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Congrats! Hope your girl hatches some pretty babies! I am still waiting on my fertile silkie eggs to come.... [​IMG]

6. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My broody hatched her yesterday and today, so I won't be "setting".. But I would LOVE to follow along.. Have a sweet spot for broodys!! [​IMG]

Your girl is beautiful!! What breed are you giving her to hatch???

7. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    The layers were a RIR, Australorp, and Ameracauna. The Daddys, no clue, so I am excited to see what is going to come out.

I put them under at 5:30pm CST today.

Lets see what will come!

I am hoping to candle in a week or so, but it is getting cold up here. First snow is predicted this week, can I candle in the coop after dark with a coop air temp of 40 degrees?

8. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Day One: RPBCup is still setting on the eggs, my prayers are for her safety and the lives of those chicks.

9. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Day 4: Went out this morning to check on the ladies and let them out of the coop. RBPCup hopped down started eating with a voracious attitude and went outside too. We will see if she gets back on. It has been 20mins. What to do...

10. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    Aww...I love broody hens [​IMG] She's so pretty! I love her name [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by