Broody pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nursesusanb, Sep 26, 2015.

1. nursesusanb

nursesusanb Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    Maine
    Some of my hens started laying one week ago. The eggs are still quite small. I have a 22 week old BO who is now broody and won't leave the nesting box. Aren't these eggs too small to hatch chicks? They are most likely fertile, I have seen the roo in action.

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Yeah they can be to small. But I have hatched pullet eggs and I know others who have too. It is getting a little late to be hatching in Maine but with a broody I would think everything would be fine. If u go ahead and let her hatch chicks make sure there is a warm spot ready for her and her brood if the weather gets cold. And being she is young I would let her sit for another week before giving her eggs. Also have a brooder ready for chicks that way if the hen tries kill or abadons the chicks they have a spot ready. Good luck.

3. nursesusanb

nursesusanb Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    Maine
    Should I be worried about having chicks in the coop since it's getting cold out? Or should I wait till they hatch and then put them in a brooder? If I put them in a brooder do I move mama as well, or just move chicks?

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

If its in the 20s which hopefully wont be that cold soon they should be moved with mom to a brooder. But if its above 20 degrees f they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by