Broody Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyoChickenMamma, Dec 11, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I have a broody pullet...she just started laying a month or so ago. She won't come out of the box. She lets me take the eggs away, but continues to sit in the box. I do not have a rooster and do not have access to any fertilized eggs...besides, it is December and very cold here. Any ideas for how I can get her back to running around with the other girls???

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some break more easily than others. Tossing mine out of the nest and keeping the coop door shut until around 1 (several days in a row) has worked for me a few times, but I have that option, because I have two coops (and so nest boxes are available if someone needs to lay). Some suggest penning the broody up in a dog crate or something (with no bedding to snuggle into). Some give up easily, while others will head straight back to the nest. I've also waited the 21 days; mine have seemed easier to break when I let them sit that month (although I still tossed them off the nest each day to force them to eat/drink).

3. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I remove the eggs from under them and pick them up twice daily. I use this time to check them over for mites and lice, they kindly fluff their feathers for me to see under [​IMG] I put them down on the floor near the food and water, if they immediately go back in the nest, I take them farther away from it and try to offer yummy stuff to distract them some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by