Broody Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beausonge, Oct 3, 2012.

1. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    I have a Welsummer pullet who has been broody for a month. I have removed all the fake eggs from the nests and she still sits. She has lost so much weight because she will not leave the nest. I tried secluding her in a pen with just water and food. That lasted two days when she started a crazy kond of bawk...bawk.... very loud and running around the pen and knocking every thing over. Her crop is pretty much empty and she has no issues at the other end. Her skin and legs are pest free.

Two days ado I put her in a small pen in where my chicks are being raised. She has been eating and drinking but not a lot. The rest of the time she sits on the nest she made up. This morning I put one fesh egg near her. She immediately and gently put the egg under and started chittering softly to it.

I am giving her Flock Raiser gruel and I have water with "Rooster Boster" in it. She is in a heated room - it is about 80 F as the chicks are in their 4th week.

Is there anything else that would help this poor dhicken?

Thanks for your help!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    What is your goal? When a hen is broody, it can be really hard to break them of their broodiness. If it were me, I'd let her hatch a couple and once she has, she won't be broody any more. The first couple of times I had a broody hen, I lived in the city and didn't have a rooster, so I placed an ad on CL and was able to get some fertile eggs that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by