Broody pullet?

lauranickerson

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Kingsley, MI
She's a Golden Comet and about 25 weeks old and has been laying eggs for a few weeks. She has been sitting on her egg for a couple hours now. How long should I let her sit on them? I put a couple others in her box just to see what she'd do, and she scooted them under her. One is hers, one's a Pekin duck egg, and another is a 2 y.o RIR egg...all laid today.

Another question. Let's say she is broody and I want to put more under her. Do eggs that I put in the fridge automatically go sterile?

See where she sleeps tonight. If she spends all night in the box then it is likely she is broody. A lot of people give it two nights to be sure. If she is broody she will be in the nest just about 24/7 and will pull out her chest feathers and will likely make angry dinosaur noises if you try to interact with her -- it is a very distinct sound :)

Refrigerated eggs don't go sterile but I don't thinks your hatch rate will be quite as good as room temp eggs. Some people actually hatch fertile grocery store eggs.

See where she sleeps tonight. If she spends all night in the box then it is likely she is broody. A lot of people give it two nights to be sure. If she is broody she will be in the nest just about 24/7 and will pull out her chest feathers and will likely make angry dinosaur noises if you try to interact with her -- it is a very distinct sound :)

Refrigerated eggs don't go sterile but I don't thinks your hatch rate will be quite as good as room temp eggs. Some people actually hatch fertile grocery store eggs.
False alarm. I went out and she was already pushed out by my Australorp. But my Rhode Island Red made those noises at my this morning (she was sharing the nest box with the Golden Comet.) I got a video of it. Haha.

But that's good to know about the eggs. I've always wondered that. So if I ended up with a broody hen, I could just keep some eggs out on the kitchen counter or something until I had enough to put under her (I know the longer they set out, the less of a hatch rate and all)?

Back
Top Bottom