Broody pullets?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 77horses, Jan 19, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    We have 2 Buff Orpington pullets(6 1/2 months old). One of them, who is named Caramel, has been kind of broody sometimes, but not for very long and she wasn't very serious about it. But the other one, named Setherina, seemed pretty serious about it today! When we went out to collect eggs, she was sitting on some! [​IMG] [​IMG] She was all puffed up, and when Caramel or the rooster(Foghorn) came near the nest, she would make a loud growl and would puff
    up at them! It sounded really weird. [​IMG] She stayed on the eggs for most of the morning, but by the afternoon, she finally got off. Then, Caramel got on them instead for a little while, then got off. [​IMG]
    By Spring we are hoping she will go broody again and be serious about it. It's been cold here lately(was warmer today; around 20-27*F.) so we didn't really expect her to be really serious about hatching the eggs. But it did surprise us the way she was acting towards the rooster and Caramel! [​IMG] She didn't bite us or growl that much at all when we touched her or the eggs. [​IMG]
    So if she does try hatching some chicks out in Spring(or around there) we could use the homemade Styro-Bator AND the two hens!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Boy, we are gonna have A LOT of baby chicks this Spring! Any takers??? LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading! [​IMG]

2. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Those silly hens! Mine has been broody for the past three days, I've been having to bring her the food and water-she won't get off! And there aren't even any eggs underneath her, just a golfball! [​IMG]

It's snowing here too, I wonder what it is that she's thinking? [​IMG]

Nice to hear my chicks aren't the only crazy ones around here.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    To break broodieness just move the hen into another pen for a few days .

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:We actually don't mind her setting; if she wants to set, she can! [​IMG] But we don't expect her to get really serious until the temp. warms up. [​IMG]
    silly girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by