Broody Pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We have four 27 week old pullets and in the last 3 weeks 3 of them have been broody.

First our white pullet and she was only like that for about 2 days.

Then our EE and she was only broody for about a day, not sure if you would really call her broody.

Now one of our black pullets (she looks like our white one, only black) has been trying to sit on eggs for 2 days now. Yesterday I had to wait until bed time to get her off the nest and again tonight I have had to wait until night fall.

The thing is, she had 2 eggs under her in the middle nest. The olive egg doesn't belong to her, belongs to our EE, but this black one had it uder her. I saw it earlier in the nest to the left of her but didn't get to get it out and then when I went back out to see if she had laid, the egg was gone and she was still laying in the middle nest.

How is she getting the eggs out of other nest?? Our nests are made out of 10 gallon square buckets that were cut down the middle. The sides and front have a 'wall' of about 3 - 4 inches high.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have seen broodies steal eggs. They tuck the egg under their "chin" holding it in place and waddle to where they want to set.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:I would LOVE to see that. [​IMG] I guess tomorrow I am just going to have to just make her get out of the nest box. Really the eggs aren't even in the box, they are laying in the pine shavings under the back of the box, but I can't see them while she is sitting there. I think I am going to move the boxes away from the door a little more and then when she lays (and she is the only one that does this) the egg will drop down into the pine shavings under the box.

4. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I don't want my girls to be broody, is there a way to disourage this???

Our little black one is now laying to the back of the coop (beside the egg boxes) near the clean out door on some plastic eggs, not sure if she has an egg under her or not.

Should I take away the plastic eggs too?? They won't keep them in the boxes, so I am not sure what good they are anymore?

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:In my experience golf balls work better than plastic eggs, because of the weight. Although I do have one hen that insists on kicking the golf ball out of her favorite nest before she'll lay an egg in it.

To break a broody you can first try tossing her off the nest each day and not allowing eggs to collect in the nestboxes at all. If that doesn't work you may need to put her in a broody cage to break her. You can find out more about that by doing a search here on BYC, using the keywords "breaking broody".

Good luck.

6. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, this pullet is just LYING in the darn box, she is NOT laying eggs (or has not today anyway). She just stays in the box putting the straw and pine chips on her like she is nurse maiding eggs. What is her DEAL!!!

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I took the plastic eggs out of the nests. So I'll see what happens with her now. That is all she was doing was nurse maiding those plastic eggs, NOT actually laying, just nurse maiding!

8. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Consider yourself lucky. I have tried and tried to get a broody hen. Broodiness is genetic, it is ingrained in them- you can't really "break" a broody hen but you may be able to break a cycle. If you don't want broodies in the future, look for breeds that don't like to set. Production Rhode Island Reds have had their broodiness bred out of them, Anconas are not good setters, Leghorns, not setters. The bigger breeds- Brahmas, Orpingtons, Australorps, Heritage RIR's, good setters.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Broodies don't typically lay eggs once they have gone into full broody mode. Sounds like you definitely have a broody on your hands.

10. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Well all of my girls are barnyard mutts, so I must have the BEST!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by