Broody + purchased fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by livingcolor, Jul 15, 2008.

1. livingcolor

livingcolor Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2007
    NW Arkansas Ozarks
    I know this topic has been discussed previously (a lot, really. Sorry.), but my buff orp has settled in a nest (again) and we've found fertile eggs from a farm nearby. The nest she has claimed is about 3.5 feet above the hen house floor, so I know it is too high. I moved her to a separate section of the coop and gave her a nestbox on the ground last night, to determine if she would move okay. After much pacing, she slept in the grass in the opposite corner from the nestbox, even tho she had hopped into and over the nestbox numerous times. I felt sorry for her (she was pacing again early this morning) and let her back out with the other hens and after tootling around their yard for about an hour, she is back in her original, favorite nest. We would really like to hatch some babies...my husband is convinced that she will sit on eggs/chicks wherever they are and that we could keep could keep the newly hatched chicks in the high nest and then move the whole caboodle to the separate coop. (He thinks she is the smartest hen. And she probably is, but smart in a chicken is still housed in a pea-sized brain...) We could handle the eggs not hatching and we could raise the chicks if she decides not too- what I couldn't handle are little dead ones on the hen house floor. I need some experienced guidance. Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put the eggs under her in the nest she wants to sit in. Mark the calander and when she gets to day 20 start watching for chicks. When the chicks hatch they won't come out from under for a day or so. She will keep them close. At that point take her out of the nest and the chicks and give her place to raise them with plenty of chick starter and water. Let her eat the chick starter - it will do her good. You can work with her on this and have a great success. Good luck! [​IMG]

My white wyandote hatched me some gorgeous RIR's [​IMG]

Even later if she refuses to be moved with the chicks you can make a ramp for the chicks to climb up and down on to get to momma and the nest [​IMG]

3. livingcolor

Feb 20, 2007
    NW Arkansas Ozarks
    You make it sound pretty easy. I am not a good 'farmer' and tend to worry some of these notions ad nauseum. We will give it a try. Thanks for your quick and positive reply. The encouragement I have seen on BYC has been a blessing!

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have stubborn hens,too. They hatch chicks in the nest box and most of the time I get them out before they leave the nest,but sometimes they will get out of the nest(over 2 ft high) and I find them running around inside the house. they do fine.

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    You will do fine. I do what Miss Prissy does. I also have nesting boxes about 2 1/2 feet up with a ramp, and everyone always does fine. I have been down in central Mexico, and the chickens there lay eggs in trees and when the babies all hatch and are ready to go with mom to free range, they jump from the tree. I'm talking like 10 feet or more, it is crazy to watch, although I am not that brave with my little ones. Again, do what Miss Prissy said and all will work out.

Good luck and best wishes.

6. livingcolor

Feb 20, 2007
    NW Arkansas Ozarks
    I am off to pick up 5 Black Australorp and 5 New Hampshire Red eggs this afternoon. If this hatch works, they should add some new interest to my current flock of hens: the broody buff orpington, a red cochin, a gold-laced wyandotte and 2 sweet dominiques. We live in town in a kind-of hoity-toity neighborhood and are not supposed to have chickens at all (you are permitted 4 hens in town in neighborhoods without covenants) but have won all our neighbors over with eggs from our girls who have 1/4 of a grassy acre to roam around in off to the side of our backyard. But the ladies are all about 2.5 years old now and egg production has slowed substantially. I am so excited about babies. Just hope the meter-reader does not turn us in....I'll let you know the out come inabout 20 days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by