Broody pure breed buff orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by richjan, Apr 19, 2018.

1. richjan

richjan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2017
    Kent uk
    Hi all x she is broody for 3rd time in 1 year. She's 18m old. My other 2 have never been broody. White sussex. Rohde island red. We put her in a dog cage for few days and usually works. But why is this happening do you think?

2. Halevb

Halevb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    Buff Orpingtons are just notoriously great mothers. It’s good if you want chicks, but unfortunately can get pretty annoying if eggs are the only goal. I spent months trying to break my buff before finally giving up and letting her sit.

Attached Files:

richjan likes this.
  3. richjan

richjan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2017
    Kent uk
    Oh.I didn't know that. She gets vicious I was worried because she won't come out of nest for days and not eating or drinking so a friend suggested the dog cage to make it uncomfortable and kept In run. Seems to work. We have 3 girls so no chicks.

Halevb likes this.
  4. 6hensJen

6hensJen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    My BO is a really broody hen, apparently they’re known for it. I found the easiest way to break her is to open up a new area for foraging if you can (i let them in the front yard for a few days lol) that way shes way too busy exploring and gobbling up bugs to bother sitting in her nest all day! Doesnt work every time if shes being really stubborn, then she gets a cold bath lol.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    richjan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by