Broody Quail and raising chicks - (baby pics! )

Discussion in 'Quail' started by vigibigi, Aug 15, 2012.

1. vigibigi

vigibigi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    Hi,

So we have two quail hens, one japanese the other italian-ish, both sitting on nests. Having read about how unheard of broody quail are, we thought it slightly rediculous at first, but now, 16 days in, were expecting that we might see some chicks fairly soon! When I last tried to count, one was sitting on 7 eggs, the other on about 12.

The quail are outdoors at the moment, we've not disturbed the nests at all in hope that the hens would stay broody. Now that day 17 is approaching we were wondering what advice anyone might have for looking after these babies.

WIll the mothers do much work themeslves? We intend to bring them inside with a heat lamp etc, is it important that this happens immediately after they hatch, or will the chicks be okay with their mothers if they hatch outside in the middle of the night?
    We're still unsure of what sort of success rate to expect , but if anybody does hatch, we want to give them the best chance of survival!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Livi

Livi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    I have no personal experience, but since the brooding instinct is so low in cutornix I would maybe bother to get up once or twice in the night just to check ;) Keep us updated then. I really hope that I could get a broody quail too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
  4. Livi

Aug 15, 2012
    Any chicks yet? :)

5. vigibigi

May 19, 2012
    No, no babies yet! It's hard to know which day we're on, but if they don't come this weekend I don't imagine they will at all :( Thanks GrandmaBird, got some kind of makeshift brooder ready just in case :) fingers crossed.....

6. Livi

Aug 15, 2012
    Crossing my fingers with you, hope they hatch!

7. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I HAVE HAD ONE THAT HATCHED OFF 7, BUT SHE DID NOT TAKE CARE OF THEM.

8. vigibigi

May 19, 2012
    3 chicks this morning!!! very beautiful, ill put up a pic soon. were still expectin some more i think, and the mothers being very good and protective, showing them how to eat and drink and everything. :D

1 person likes this.
  9. Livi

Aug 15, 2012
    Awesome, I cant wait to see pics! :D Gongrats!

10. vigibigi

May 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are our babies!! Only three have hatched from this first nest! 2 little cinnamon ones and a yellow it seems [​IMG] In fact four hatched, but we found the fourth little one dead in the nest :( Anyway these three are very healthy and happy, the mama's being fantastic. They all live under her wing - sometimes she walks around with them up there. Very sweet.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by