Broody quail not Broody any more.......Update 7/27

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barnyard, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I am pet setting my best friends critter's, and she has a quail that is broody, well I noticed yesterday that she wasn't on the nest. Today I go and do my morning checks( they live 2 houses down from me) and she is still not on the nest. I felt of the eggs and the bedding around them and it is cold. I am pretty sure she has not been on that nest for at least 12-15 hours give or take. I have since brought them to my house and put them in my bator, and yes before anyone say's anything I did ask first, lol.

I guess what I am asking is did I do the right thing by taken them? What are the chances of them hatching? They were due to hatch on the 22nd and I hated for them to go to waste. Thanks for any replys......

Tiffany

Edited to add: What should the humidity be in the bator for button quail?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Hey Tiffany!

I'd have done the same thing - the worst case scenario is that it was too long and none will hatch. Being too cool is usually better than being too hot for a period of time, though... Hopefully it may just delay the hatch a day or so - nothing to lose by trying, anyway.

Good luck with them.... how's your other quail doing?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Hey Susan,

Thankyou. That is what I said to, nothing lose. I hope they hatch though. She was sitting on 20 little eggs. Bless her little heart, lol.

My quail are doing really good. Not sure who is who yet though. I just put them in the tank I got from you yesterday so I haven't taken any pics yet. Which it looks a little boring right now. I need to get some fake plants or something to go in there. Thanks for asking.

Dennis is the husband of the friend I am talking about. They have been on vacation that is why he hasn't made it back up your way yet. They will be home tuesday.

4. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

:eek: I was wondering the same thing. My first button has laid about 10 eggs, and stated sitting today. I wondered what I should do if she got up, and I guess I know now! Good luck![​IMG]

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hope the eggs hatch [​IMG] sending good vides [​IMG]

I hope once my hens start laying that they will brood [​IMG]

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah I hope your eggs hatch too.

What breed of quail was the one that went broody?

7. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

Button Quail, cinnamon mom and pearl dad. She had moved a couple eggs way out of the nest as of this morning, so I thought I would take them, but now they are all under her again.

I do not want to disturb her, but she set up her nest right next to the waterer. It is safe for babies but too high. Guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the good vibes!

8. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thanks guy's! As of today, nothing is happening with the eggs. They are still in the bator. I figured we would be a few day's behind since the hen was off the nest for a little while. I am [​IMG] that at least a couple will hatch!!

9. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    OH yeah, I have no clue what is dud's and what ain't. How on earth would you candle a button quail egg??

10. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well, five day's after they were suppose to hatch we have a chick... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Not sure how many more will hatch, but I am hoping for a friend for the little one......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by