Broody Quail

HDH

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2017
I'm looking into getting some quail. I need to know what is the most broodiest type of quail. Can you please help me?

Broodiness seems to be something that can be very quickly bred out of quail. Different species of quail can be more wild and those would be the ones more prone to broodiness as they haven't been 'mass hatched' for generations. The more docile quail tend to be the most domesticated so the least prone to broodiness.

If you can find Buttons that have been hatched and brooded naturally they'd be the way to go as a pet and the more time you spend with them the more relaxed they become around you as long as you get them as youngsters. I've got to watch where I step in my aviary and I've kicked them (gently) by accident before. Mine will peck at my feet too.

I've only kept Buttons and Coturnix so I can't advise you on other species, but Coturnix are not a good choice if you are wanting a broody quail. They make great pets though.

I have bobwhites that often go broody. Get them as young ones or incubate the eggs. It practically only works if you keep one pair in a large aviary, with lots of natural hiding spaces and long grass. Pretty much all of my bobwhites went broody that way, and hatched their own young.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom