Broody question - should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My broody has been sitting on eggs since last Thursday. For the last several days, she has turned into a biting velociraptor on the nest. I know she's drinking, and it appears as though she's eating as the food level is going down. But in the last 3 days, she has not pooped. Not that I'm complaining at not having to smell that nasty stuff, but should I be concerned about her?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    No worries! She'll do that when she's ready.....this is gross, but you will probably see a HUGE poop. Really HUGE. [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I've already seen a couple of them, but I didn't know if 3 days of no pooping was okay.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My rookie broody hen in the Spring had not pooped for 5 days. I got really concerned about her as she had eaten just about nothing either, though had taken some fluid when offered to her on the eggs.

Eventually I decided I had to do something. I picked her up (docile Brahma) and stroked her a bit as I had always done prior to her broodiness. There was an ominous rumbling from within, followed by a horrible gush of warm lumpy liquid all down my legs and feet. She felt better afterwards.......can't say I did.

In other words.......don't go there! Nature will take its' course eventually

Sandie

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh that's just nasty! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I definitely will not pick her up!

I know she's getting water, I put a coffee mug right by the nest so she doesn't have to get up to drink. (we had a couple of really hot days and I wanted to make sure she was drinking) She also has a waterer right next to the feeder.

Good to know that 5 days is still okay. She's usually my sweet, nice girl. But her momma instincts are in full swing and she doesn't want me touching those eggs. So much for candling them. It's not like I'd see much anyway, they are blue eggs and dark wellie eggs.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] Sorry...but that was just hilarious!

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Good advice. I read of folks putting water and feed close to a broody so she doesn`t have to get up, but the truth is, she needs to get up to stretch and eliminate, and she will when she is ready. Best advice, leave her alone..........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by