Broody question, vanishing egg and antibiotic question

marier4him

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
I have a hen that went broody so we bought her some fertilized eggs and they are due to hatch in 2 days. The nest boxes are off the floor a foot or so. What should I put there so the chicks can leave the nest? Also, will they need to go back up to sleep at night? She only has 3 eggs.

Also, we are having eggs disappear. We bought 8 fertilized eggs and now we have 3. There are no shells anywhere, they just vanished. I know we didn't collect them, because they were clearly marked with permanent marker on both sides. Could it be a snake? If so, do moth balls work?

Third question: I have a hen with a cough and one with diarrhea. It has been with them for a few months. They are all eating, active and laying. However, I was thinking about putting some Duramycin in their water to clear up whatever it is. How long do I have to throw out their eggs?

Thanks so much for the help!

2 sons, 2 daughters, 2 grandchildren, 14 hens (buff's, Australorps, Dominics, Silver laced, RI Reds, Easter Egger), 1 black lab, 1 Golden Retriever, 1 siamese-mix, African Chiclids, Goldfish, 17 Holland Lops and 1 very patient husband.

The mama could have eaten them herself, too. Apparently they can tell when one is dead, and get rid of it. Or snake, as you said. i don't know how well moth balls work but I know they are quite toxic. From what I've read, a snake trap is quite effective, just some netting around the coop on the ground that they get tangled in -- I haven't tried it. When egg production goes down I can usually find a snake hiding in the coop -- the one predator I will relocate.

Can you put a small scrap of wood or two in there for a step? They will be able to hop several inches very quickly. Or mama will settle down on the floor and make a warm place for them to sleep.

Are you sure they are missing? I just ask because my cochin broody is so plush that simetimes I pick her up and it seems like eggs are missing, then I feel under her and she is holding a couple under her wings.
big_smile.png

Yes, I'm sure they are gone. I actually have lifter her up several times because as soon as she jumps down for a drink or a snack, another hen jumps up and lays eggs in her box. I didn't know that she might eat them if they had died.

Yes, I had heard that mothballs are toxic. I was going to hang them inside some kind of fabric bag inside the coop where the hens can't possibly reach them.

And yes, I have lots of wood scraps. I will put something in tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the replies.

I just checked the coop even though they were up for the night and guess what? There were two large snakes inside. One had just swallowed an egg and the other was still deciding which one he liked best.

Back
Top Bottom