Broody question??? WE HAVE A BABY!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My hen has been setting for 25 days now she is still holding strong. She has 2 eggs left and nothing had happened I don't know what eles to do. Will she give up if nothing hatches? I was wondering if I bought hatching eggs and put them under her would she sit again for 21 days? I have such bad luck this time going around due to weather but I thought if she would continue to sit since she is not giving up if i brought her into the house to sit on the eggs? Plz any advice would be great if she would contine to sit for another 21 days I can have hatching eggs here in a couple of days.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    How many eggs did she start out with? Have you heard any noise from the two eggs under her? She might sit for another 21 days. But I would give her a break. Brooding takes a lot out of the hen. She doesn't eat or drink right the whole time. And this is not the best time of year for chicks to hatch. Try next spring, it will be better for all.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    she started out with 11 my roo ate 4 she had 7 and on day 23 i took them 2 were rotten and 1 had a live chick in it it lived only brief after it kicked its self out of its shell. It looked like it was ready to hatch the other looked about a week behind. She has 3 eggs i saw movement in on day 23 put them back under her today will make day 26 and so far nothing and she is still sitting. I was thinking the same thing she needed a break but will she stop soon if nothing hatches?

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would not give her any more eggs to sit on, she needs to eat,drink normally after sitting. Do you have anyone in your area that you could buy a few day old chicks from ?? Then you could take the eggs from her and give her the chicks. You could try Craigslist.com in your area !!

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I think she is trying to break herself I have seen her come off twice now and that is unusal for her. The 2 eggs still have movement in them i got to candle them the best I could today. They are on day 26 today but I think weather has made them develope slowly so maybe they still have a chance I am just going to wait and see.

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope she gets at least 1 baby !!!

7. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am hoping the best for you. I am doing this for the 1st time and I am just hoping I have 1 hatch out from under my broody hen. Your poor hen....she is like a pregnant woman that is overdue! Mine are due Thanksgiving day.

8. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I had one from my broody hatch that was on day 28. Maybe they just slow down from the cold. I went in that day to take the eggs away from her, and one had pipped.

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Griffox you may be on to something there we are on day 26 here and I went to candle again and WE HAVE PIPS AND CHIRPING I CAN HEAR THEM! I am so excited. I am hoping these 2 hatch and are healthy everyone keep your fingers crossed I will update as soon as I see little fluffy butts out! I AM SO HAPPY FOR THIS GIRL SHE HAS PUT SUCH HARD WORK INTO THESE EGGS!!!!!!!!!!

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

COME ON CHICKIES !!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by