Broody Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Nov 1, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    How will long will a broody take care of her chicks. I have 7 weeks olds and they follow mom over the place. Mom still wants to protect them even through the other chickens don't seem to bother them. Maybe there are times when I don't see that the other chickens pick on them but I don't see it during the day. They all roost together at night all mingled together. Any clues? John

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on the broody. None of my broodies ever took care of the chicks past about 5 weeks, so you've got an extra good broody. And the flock is probably in fear of their lives if they bother those chicks now, LOL.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My girl has never went pass 6 weeks. BY six weeks she has began to lay again and forgets all about her babies.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    My silkie takes care of them FOREVER !! Her last hatch she didn't start running the chicks off till about 8 weeks, and they still wanted to sleep with her !! She didnt lay for about a month after that !! Depends on the hen !!

5. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Quote:You have that right. Mom chases the other chickens out of the coop when she takes them to feed. No one as of yet has the guts to make any approach to the chicks. It has been a real pleasure to experience this feat of amazing nature. John

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Here is a picture. Maybe because they are banty's.

[​IMG]

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww, they're so cute! No wonder she thinks they haven't grown up yet!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by