1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 29, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I think I know the broody signs - number one being she won't get off the nest, right?

But, I collect the eggs at almost random times, if she's broody will she still sit there after I collect them?

And - really stupid question - remember I grew up in the city! If she lays one egg a day how many will she hatch? Will she sit on the other girls' eggs?

I have ten hens. Today I came home to find one sitting on 8. She shooed right off so I figure she was planning on an addition to the collection or she was just keeping them warm>??

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

give her 6 warm just layed eggs and she will set them for ever.. My Minny just hatched her first 2 last night and this morning and is setting 4 more...hopefully these others will hatch too..I took Minny into the house and put her in a large dog kennel cause the other birds where disturbing her...and it was subzero out...It takes 21 days... keep fresh water and feed where she can reach easily...Minny gets up once a day to poop...need to clean that right away or your eyes will water WHEW stinky... [​IMG] She does all the turning and keeps the temps and humidity just right dont have to worry about any of that...Candle after day 7...Good luck

forgot to add that only one of the eggs was hers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Since she was shooed off easily does that mean she is not broody??

4. kmmp

kmmp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Probably, a broody wil "growl" at you, fluff up and peck you hand if you try to reach under her. They can only be removed from the nest with a prybar:lol:[​IMG][​IMG]

kmmp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by