Broody Question

GirlsMommy18

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
South Florida
I have 2 Gold Laced Wayandotte eggs I placed in my bantam coops nest box hoping for one of the cochins to brood on. Instead I got an Old English Game Bantam who set on them immediately. I'm shocked they and her egg even fit under her to be honest. Do I leave her to it, or separate her so a larger cochin can possibly take over? I'm mainly uncertain if her considerable size difference might end up a problem later. She's my favorite hen, and a real sweetheart so I'm tempted to just let her be.

Mosey2003

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 13, 2016
North-Central IL
Leave her be. No sense kicking off a broody when you don't know if another will take up the post. If she's covering them, she'll be fine. You can move her when you want, but I think it's safer to wait a week or so and make sure she's committed to sitting. Then you'll want to do it after dark.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 Gold Laced Wayandotte eggs I placed in my bantam coops nest box hoping for one of the cochins to brood on. Instead I got an Old English Game Bantam who set on them immediately. I'm shocked they and her egg even fit under her to be honest. Do I leave her to it, or separate her so a larger cochin can possibly take over? I'm mainly uncertain if her considerable size difference might end up a problem later. She's my favorite hen, and a real sweetheart so I'm tempted to just let her be.
It's best to wait until you're sure you have a broody before putting out eggs for them.
I wait until 2-3 nights have been spent on the nest(no eggs needed),
then I move them to broody pen with fake eggs and another couple nights to make sure they're gonna sit tight,
then I give them fresh fertile eggs and start the countdown!

Top Bottom