1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a bantam brahma hen that will go broody for me anytime.. How many eggs would you say could see hatch.. (to be safe)she will sit on Bantam brahma eggs ..

Thanks

2. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Please hatching eggs are on the way

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh Stan, are you desperate? Never had a Brahma banty, but I would think 10 bantam eggs. Once you get her settled on them, you can size her up and see if you need to add a couple, or take some away. Don`t be optimistic. You would do better to set less and hatch more, than set more and have some get cold. Good luck.......Pop

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The general rule is a dozen of the same size they normally lay - so a bantam could handle a dozen banty eggs or 6 standard eggs.

In cold weather, I give them a few less to make sure they can cover them really well and you could probably add a few more when the weather is nicer.

I have Silkies, so I think my birds are smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by