broody question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montcapu, May 17, 2009.

1. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I have a delaware that all day she sits on a nest, she growls at me and feathers ruffle up if I come near her, but as soon as I decide to let them free range she gets off the nest... do "broody" chickens tend to go thru this sort of stage prior to them actually setting on eggs or is she not going to be a good broody at all... this has happened yesterday and today (she is not setting on eggs but would love her to)

2. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Oh yes they do!![​IMG]
    Our broody is just starting and still trying to lay her clutch of eggs, but I have to boot her rear off the nest to get her to eat and drink and to get the non fertilized eggs that she's laying along with the other chickens since they all want to lay in the same nest.[​IMG] She started off with wanting to stay on the nest for a long time, then got longer and longer, then turned into Roxie(like a PUMA) when it came to nest (broody) time![​IMG]

If she's growling and fluffling now, get ready for broody season and get that girl some eggs to hatch! (Mine will get here Tues or Wed. and not a MOMENT too soon for the broody!!!)
    Get some eggs and enjoy, I love broody's!![​IMG] (More chickens.....[​IMG])

3. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I know that with her puffing up and growling and pecking at me are signs of broodiness but she will sit on the eggs as long as the run is closed but the minute I open the cage door to let them free range she if off the nest... is she just starting to go broody and needs to work upto wanting to set that long or will she not really want to set on eggs

(not worried about fertile eggs got 2 roosters [​IMG] )

4. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:I really don't know, I can't have roosters here the "city" neighbors next door would go nuts. [​IMG]
    Seeing what I've had going on the last month with a full out broody in the last 4 days and going on 3 weeks before that, I would say from my hen, your's is getting ready to go broody. It was so slow that I thought nothing about it, she was just taking her time.... and that time got longer.. and longer.... and longer.........and longer................. until she was all puffed up, pecking, growling and I'm going, "What happened to my sweet lead hen??"[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I started reading again for about the millionth time on BYC about broodys just like I did when I had these hens and they had a respiratory disease and I lost half the flock.

This time, it had a happy outcome!

Just watch out for those broody poops, you get one, you wil know for SURE she's broody....[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by