Broody question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahIrl, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Bought a lovely welsummer type bantam hen on Sunday. Seller said she was currently broody, but she's not even laid yet since her move. Not too worried there, she has plucked her belly bare like broodies do though. Entirely unsure as to how old she is, probably 18 month - 2 yrs by the look of her. She has very bad scaly leg (bought at a poultry show and she was stuffed into a cardboard box before I could get a good look) which I am treating, and also worming her. However, she was paired with a stunning, and I mean gorgeous, rooster. Who flew off the minute the seller opened the cage to box them for me, and he flew off out of the poultry sale and over a dual carriageway never to be seen again. Devastated, as it was the roo I really wanted, but I said I'd take her and not leave him with a single hen. I picked up a true welsummer bantam hen and a similar (but not so stunning) rooster to go with the two girls.

So how long do you think before she lays again? I'm hoping she does before the lost rooster's fertility is gone from her. The new rooster is a bit young to be doing anything anyway, although he loves to shout. I guess I have maybe two weeks max. Any way I can encourage her? Golf balls? Or could that just trigger broody behaviour and no eggs? My father is desperate to get some eggs from her and into the incubator as he is desperate for a rooster like the dude who flew off into the wilderness... I don't need any more bantams but was keeping them to breed from in the spring. They sell really well here, especially the striking looking birds.

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    bump?

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I imagine your best bet is to convince her to stop being broody. There's not many ways to do that, but you can probably find a few to try through a google search. Good luck with it, sorry about the roo that got away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by