Broody Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nutmeg1980, Aug 9, 2010.

1. nutmeg1980

nutmeg1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I have a 1 1/2 year old hen who is now broody for the second time. She started this spring, and then we moved at the end of May, and moving to a new coop snapped her out of it. She's at it again, and has been for a little more than a week. I've been taking her off the nest twice a day to make sure she eats and drinks at least a little. I don't have a rooster, and I don't need any babies right now.

I know there are ways to get a hen to quit being broody, but I'd prefer to just let her do her thing and quit when she's ready. I've heard some people on BYC say that a broody can starve to death if you let her go - has anyone actually ever experienced this? Also, does anyone know how long I can expect her to be broody? At what point does it become a detriment to her health?

Thanks for the advise!

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have to force feed my silkie she won't even poop I have to remove her and put her back in her pen just to poop. i think it depends on the bird

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    This is a great thread on breaking broody hens. I put mine in a raised wire bottom rabbit hutch--Plenty of room for the hen, water and feed in a large hutch. It's worked very well for me, usually 24-48 hours before they stop acting cranky/broody and/or lay an egg. The thread I'm pasting on here describes other methods as well, but this is the one that has worked for me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by